Sunday, July 17, 2011

We're Homeschooling :)

     Next year we are homeschooling our children.  We are sooo excited.  We homeschooled the year before, and loved it.  I had the kids go back to public school last year due to my pregnancy.  I wasn't sure how much energy I would have to put forth for the amount of effort involved.  It was truly frustrating. Mychaila came home begging to be back in homeschool nearly everyday.   Ani came home almost everyday saying he was bored.  We thought he was just making excuses until I had a conference with his teacher, Mrs. Nix.  She told me that he showed great maturity throughout the year as he would complete his assignments quickly and quietly.  He would sit patiently, sometimes for long periods of time, waiting for his peers to finish their work. At times he would even show initiative to assist others.  I told her I was considering homeschooling and she felt that was the best option for him.
      As a parent I, of course, worried that I wasn't enough.  I hold their entire education and life in the palm of my hand.  What if I screw up?  What if 10 years down the road I find that I failed as a teacher?  This has led to massive research on homeschooling vs public school and curriculum.  The Lord has truly blessed me with people in my life to guide me and give me direction on curriculum and more self esteem to know that this is possible and can be completely successful.  One woman in particular has a daughter Mychaila's age.  Her daughter is in a private christian school.  She started telling about how great the curriculum is and how advanced her daughter is.  She asked if I had heard of the curriculum because it was homeschool curriculum. I was shocked and so excited.  That conversation led to me researching and falling in love with Shurley English, a grammar, writing, and vocabulary curriculum.  I'm so excited to use it this year.  Mychaila has really struggled in this area, and I'm so excited to find something to allow her to flourish. 
    That is the great thing about homeschooling.  Working on both the strengths and weakness in a personal way.  Helping them with exactly what they need.  Each of my kids are different learners.  Plus having a Kindergartner and a Preschooler, they need more hands on activities.  So this year we are including Montessori schooling as well.  I am also so excited because I found a way to organize using workboxes.  Such a simple system that will allow me to work with each kid and have a smooth day.
    I know homeschooling is not for everyone, but it is for us.  It is something we have fervently prayed about and researched, and it is what we are going to do.  Each family is different and thrives in their own way.  I in no way am trying to convince anyone that my way is the right way.  As my friend Daisy always said, "It is your family, do what's best for your family."  If you want more information about homeschooling, I would love to answer your questions.    If anything I can point you in the right direction.  I know that homeschooling is not for everyone, but please stick to the "Golden Rule" in comments about how I chose to raise my children.  Here is a cool video that has some great facts and statistics.  I actually have most of the links where the statistics come from, so for those that want to read the full article I can send it to you.

5 comments:

Molly said...

Wow!!! Way to go Christa. Thank you for inspiring us to homeschool. It has been the best decision we have ever made as parents aside of teaching the kids the gospel. I can not tell you the incredible impact it has had on the happiness in our home. My children are closer than they've ever been. My kids and I are closer than we've ever been. They are learning far more than they did in public school and they're able to get the individual attention that they need. They can learn at their own pace, not being rushed or held back by the pace of a classroom. I'm so excited for you!!
Thank you so much for that video. I'm actually prepping my lessons for the week and watching that video while doing so has just strengthened my resolve and re-assured me that I'm not going to mess them up and that they can grow up in to capable, responsible adults and still be homeschool graduates! Can't wait to hear how the year goes!!!!

J and A said...

Good for you. Josh and I do both for Merrick. We do enjoy preschool tho, due to the social interaction. However, Josh and I are firm believers in obtaining the best education possible. Have you heard of Greenspan??? He's great!His books are really in depth, but they're awesome. I agree with your point on public school's sometimes they don't challenge children enough. For that reason we're actually looking into private schools due to that problem. Wish you the best.

Stewartville est. 1995 said...

Christa...you will be awesome! I know this because you care enough to question the existing education they are getting in the first place. Every mother wonders if she is doing good enough and doubts herself whether it's raising her children or educating them while raising them. When the public system fails a child, what is their answer? TUTORING...and what is homeschool parent.. a private tutor! And not just any tutor...but one that loves every inch of them, knows them inside and out, knows what works with them and what doesn't...and who's doing it BECAUSE they love them...not because they are paid to. Even tutors who are paid to teach a student have phenomenal results...why, because it's one on one teaching.
Christa...there is nothing wrong with doubting yourself..it just means you care enough to make sure you are doing the right thing for them. There isn't just one way to raise a child, why should there be one way to educate them...there isn't!

Our Family of Six said...

You are going to do awesome!!! Your kids are so blessed to have you as a Mom and a Teacher!!

Laura said...

Good for you! I'm sure it will be great!! I've thought about homeschooling over and over again but have the same doubts you did about time and energy, I just don't know how to do it with younger siblings and a baby but I am seriously thinking about it!